All the Operating systems such as Windows and Mac machines have basic text editors, but TextEdit and Notepad are no that sufficient and reliable for serious web developers.
To make a better workflow you need the best text editors for your project. With the advent of new technology, there is no dearth of alternatives at all.
Why do you Even Require a Text Editor?
If the user doesn’t know a file’s format, one can easily open it with the text editor and seek to view the source code.
Text editors are also important as they remove font styles, formatting, and hyperlinks from the given text.
These things successfully accomplished post using the default text editors for Windows and even Mac but if you’re trying to create complex software or websites, a more advanced version of text editor can ease the tedious process.
The best text editors free and premium option
It’s crucial for any programmer to choose the right Text editors, whether it could be a free text editor or even a paid text editor to enhance the workflow.
Visual Code Studio
Visual Code Studio is considered one of the younger players in the game (launched in 2015).
- This puts quite an effort into building a stable community as well as ensuring that users get the features they need.
- The hard work by the developer team definitely portrays since the plugin library has grown quite a bit.
- One striking feature of this that it is also an open-source project.
- Users can download directly to macOS, Windows, or Linux for free.
It’s fun to work in visual studio code. For example, probably you can use to find a file in the directory using grep command in Linux.
Platforms: Linux, Windows, Mac
Sublime Text is considered to be a sophisticated and lightweight text editor mainly for Windows.
This text editor was created and developed by Jon Skinner and Will Bond in 2008.
Interestingly, this has been one of the top-selling editors for eleven years. This is written in C++ and Python.
Sublime Text comes along with a packed host of editing tools which makes editing super simple and fun.
- The cross-platform source code editor has a feature where the user can enable quick navigation to files, symbols, or lines. Secondly, simultaneous editing helps in the execution of the same change across multiple places in the system.
- The syntax is highlighted and its high-contrast display lowers the strain in the eyes wherein auto-complete generally completes all the entries as the user types leading to speeding up the editing process.
- The shortcuts of the keyboard further fasten up the editing process. Sublime Text offers a wide range of 23 different visual themes and a number of screen modes where we can view a maximum of four files or select the full-screen mode if we want to.
- Keeping abreast of the latest version release dating a few days back, this editor has become advanced. This is fit for new users and nerds. Sublime Text is indeed the right editing tool for smooth and fast editing.
Platforms: Linux, Mac, and Windows
Atom is popular as a free as well as an open-source text and source code editor for macOS, Linux, and also Microsoft Windows.
- This comes with support for plug-ins written in Node.js and embedded Git Control.
- Atom is created and developed by GitHub.
- This is a desktop application built using web technologies.
- The best feature of Atom is its highly customizable text editor which is continuously supported by a community of committed developers.
- One can have access to dozens of plugins and themes.
- Atom has a feature of a built-in tool for creating its own plugins.
Platforms: Linux, Windows, and Mac
Notepad ++ text editor is famous for being very flexible and supports macros as well as multiple plugins.
Today, more than 140 compatible plugins are readily accessible as the Windows text editor. Out of 10 are incorporated as default in the program.
- The editor is popularly used and has a huge customer base spread across different parts of the world because it easily supports 84 languages.
- Notepad++ offers internationalization by using XML files in a particular application-specific format.
- It contains all internationalized strings in a specific language.
- In this, any file can be reloaded from application settings, and the user can translate the text to new languages by just editing an existing file.
By using this one can easily save text documents in a huge variety of formats such as TXT, CSS, ASM, AU3, BASH, BAT, HPP, CC, DIFF, HTML, REG, HEX, JAVA, SQL, VBS and many more.
This is really the best text editor for the Windows environment that brings the best results in editing.
The best qualities of Espresso are Well-designed interface, facility of dragging-and-dropping content and it has no Windows or Linux versions.
- Espresso is a Mac-only code editor that is highly effective, powerful and smooth just like the name of the caffeinated beverage it’s named after.
- The popular text editor has been appreciated for helping a large number of users editing less time, and also because of its comprehensive editing interface.
- This is mainly built for real-time editing, as it’s split into three columns comprising your files, code editor and navigator.
- This enables us to see the various sections of code you’re working on.
Brackets is another free open-source editor.
- This text editor is effectively making it easy to design in a browser and is well crafted from the web designers and front-end developers.
- This also offers a wide range of coding tools including real-time visualization of the website.
- Brackets is developed by Adobe and allows the users to extract information such as colors, gradients, fonts and measurements directly from PSD files as clean CSS.
- This is one useful tool that any UI designer should have in their kitty.
Platforms: Linux, Windows, and Mac
Coda is mainly for Mac lovers. Using this involves a cost of $99 for one copy.
- The pricing of Coda gets progressively cheaper per copy if you purchase multiple copies at the same time.
- To add on, Coda is quite reminiscent of different Mac products.
- This is one of the most user-friendly interfaces of every text editor on the market these days. Mac users talk about it.
- Coda is normally a text editor with diverse features for syntax highlighting, code folding, and autocompletes.
In Coda, you will find some rather unique editing option and the user can rapidly generate items like gradients and colors as you type.
The HTML Editor – CoffeeCup’s HTML Editor is quite an advanced text editing for coding and overall web design management.
- The editor comes up with a free trial initially however, in order to continue one must pay the $49 as a one-time fee for the users.
- Apart from this, this also has a fully free version with a limitation that its features are pretty watered down.
- Users like CoffeeCup for creating HTML documents as it offers many other code languages.
Vim has a system that is user-friendly for the people who enjoy incorporating plugins for expanding their reach.
- Vim online community is a platform for learning more about different extensions as well as new scripts, tips as well as tools.
- This service is completely free and is an open-source solution that regularly receives updates.
- Windows, Linux, and Mac, the Vim text editor is considered as a stable, reliable editor that integrates a lot of popular tools.
This is mainly designed to incorporate both from a command-line interface (CLI) as well as a standalone application in a graphical user interface (GUI).
Platforms: Unix, Linux, Windows, and Mac
UltraEdit also offers a viable solution for your text editing requirements.
- This service is not free. In fact, you have to start by depositing a fee of at least $99.95.
- That gets you the standard UltraEdit text editor and comes with free upgrades for any future releases.
- One can also install the software on three machines, whether it’s Windows, Mac, or Linux computers.
UltraEdit is easy in terms of its performance and customization abilities, along with some amazing-looking themes so that you don’t always have to start from the initial step.
The main purpose behind Komodo Edit is to offer something powerful along with a certain level of simplicity so that even newbies are able to grasp it.
- One can easily download Komodo Edit for Mac or Windows operating systems.
- This text editor is a free and open-source helping those who don’t need all the advanced features a text editor that gets smaller projects done.
- This not only provides support for all languages but also large frameworks are provided through Komodo IDE, making it suitable for web development.
Its up-gradation doesn’t cost anything as it’s also an open-source project.
If you are looking for the best text editors for a long time, then the above-mentioned editors are helpful.
Even you can check out the best editors who are available across the internet to choose and make use of it at any time.